This Joe Pass release is all previously unreleased live material recorded
September 13th and 14th, 1990 at the Vine Street Bar & Grill in Hollywood
California. These songs have been digitally edited and transferred
for a complete remaster of the original recordings.
The last twenty years of Passís career were immense. Before his passing
in 1994 he burned a legacy so bright that anyone whom even tries to
come close to his accomplishments as a solo jazz guitarists would
be doing well. Songs taken from the Great American Songbook are the
focus of Passís selections on this CD.
His virtuosity on the guitar in several genres was mind boggling to
say the least. Latin, traditional jazz and mainstream were all part
of Joeís array and repertoire. He took slower numbers and injected
rapid Latino chords into otherwise mild and mellow songs to provide
the music a color and flavor that was unfound amongst any of his peers.
The tribute "Django" is to another great jazz guitarist, and itís
but one example of Passís soft yet determined perfectionism with every
song that he played. His artistic qualities were relaxing yet very
uplifting and moving. Witness the superb "Medley: It's All in the
Game/Yesterdays" by Dawes, Harbach, Kern and Sigman. This was Pass
at his best. He was like a butterfly in flight just after breaking
out of its cocoon, flitting about every which way, showing off its
newborn freedom. In a musical sense this is extremely difficult to
maintain, Joe made it look so easy and natural.
Joe Pass will be regarded as one of the greatest jazz guitarists to
ever cross our paths. With each passing day, and with the advent of
more unheard recordings like this, his legend will continue to grow.
This is a must have for any jazz collection.
1. Django (Lewis) - 5:02
2. Old Folks (Hill/Robison) - 4:13
3. I Concentrate on You (Porter) - 4:04
4. I'll Be Around (Wilder) - 5:01
5. They Can't Take That Away from Me (Gershwin) - 4:02
6. Medley: It's All in the Game/Yesterdays (Dawes/Harbach/Kern/Sigman) - 6:29
7. Come Rain or Come Shine (Arlen/Mercer) - 4:30
8. On Green Dolphin Street (Kaper/Washington) - 7:01
9. What Is There to Say (Duke/Harburg) - 6:44
10. Nobody Else But Me (Hammerstein/Kern) - 5:17
11. Lush Life (Strayhorn) - 7:15