In 1990, Bruce Dickinson was restless. He yearned for a change. After
several years in the limelight with one of the world's premier metal
bands Iron Maiden; he was ready to move on. "Tattooed Millionaire"
was his first solo album. This remastered copy is an outstanding rock
album with additional fire and crispness, more than it ever had. It
also includes very rare bonus tracks. I was smiling all the way through
this CD. The music just comes popping off the disc. Dickinson's vocals
reminded me of the late lead singer for AC/DC Bon Scott.
For the diehard followers of his former group this came as a big surprise.
He took a more conservative approach, leaving behind the intricate
and extreme metal sound of his former mates in favor of a more structured
definitive rock-pop direction. Although this may have been a disappointment
to some his fans, it was a great recording that proved he was a diverse
lead singer with more range and flexibility than most people could
have possibly imagined. Eventually he would return from whence he
came and rejoin IR, but not until he continued to make his mark as a solo artist.
He mentioned in the liner notes that he used every available rock
cliché to record this album and it was a lot of fun. His attitude,
above and beyond exceptional professionalism, is the one factor that
made this whole thing click for him. This entire album stands as a
masterful assemblage of rock tunes, even the cover tunes impress.
Bowie's "All The Young Dudes" sounds every bit as good as the Mott
The Hoople version. The originals "Lickin' The Gun," "Tattooed
Millionaire," and "Son of a Gun" are model rock-pop, taking a page
out of the book of group's like Def Lepard and Aerosmith.
This CD really rocks, and it rocks hard and fast.
1. Son of a Gun (Dickinson/Gers) - 5:52
2. Tattooed Millionaire (Dickinson/Gers) - 4:26
3. Born in '58 (Dickinson/Gers) - 3:37
4. Hell on Wheels (Dickinson/Gers) - 3:37
5. Gypsy Road (Dickinson/Gers) - 4:00
6. Dive! Dive! Dive! (Dickinson/Gers) - 4:39
7. All the Young Dudes (Bowie) - 3:48
8. Lickin' the Gun (Dickinson/Gers) - 3:15
9. Zulu Lulu (Dickinson/Gers) - 3:26
10. No Lies (Dickinson) - 4:39 Bonus Tracks:
11. Spirit of Joy (Brown/Oakey-Harris) - 3:12
12. Darkness Be My Friend (Dickinson) - 2:01
13. Sin City (Scott/Young/Young) - 4:37
14. Winds of Change (Dickinson/Gers) - 4:14
15. Riding With the Angels (Live) (Ballard) - 4:20
Andi Carr - Bass
Fabio del Rio - Drums
Janick Gers - Guitar