Review by Keith "MuzikMan" Hannaleck|
3½ stars out of 4
With the soulful funkiness of Al Green and the smoothness of Al Giroux,
Gregory Abbott takes you down a street called desire on "Eyes, Whispers,
Rhythm, Sex…" Abbott finds his way through 15 tunes full of the warmth
of pop music and the Caribbean sun to the sultriness and mysteries
of love and romance with funky and soulful expressiveness. The elemental
forces that drive him are his heritage, life experience, and craftiness
in arranging a song with the right words backed by stellar musicianship.
"Rhythm Ryhme" is the best example of several excellent tracks of
infectious grooves that Abbott lays down with his top-flight band.
Not only is he a talented vocalist…he plays guitar, keyboards, and
does the arranging, producing, and sequencing on the album.
His voice is so strong it serves as another powerful instrument. That
kind of across the board talent is hard to ignore. If you do not get
into some kind of groove listening to this music, I suggest you check for a pulse.
This is a rock steady group of tunes with consistency from beginning
to end. This CD is both relaxing and inviting, how could you pass on feeling that good?
1. 8 Days a Week (Abbott) - 5:24
2. Sexual (Abbott) - 5:18
3. Handyman (Blackwell/Merenstein) - 3:52
4. I Like What You Do (Abbott) - 3:39
5. He Said, She Said (Abbott) - 4:08
6. You Understand (Abbott) - 0:53
7. Eleven Eleven (Abbott) - 5:15
8. Seasons Change (Abbott) - 4:42
9. Rhythm, Rhyme (Abbott) - 4:58
10. Do the Caribbean (Abbott) - 3:57
11. New Millennium (Abbott) - 0:55
12. Paradise (Abbott) - 4:45
13. Hardtimez (Abbott) - 4:23
14. Without You (Abbott) - 2:12
15. Wrap It Up (Abbott) - 3:48
Gregory Abbott - Guitar, Arranger, Keyboards, Producer, Vocal Arrangement, Sequencing
Steve Skinner - Arranger, Keyboards, Sequencing
Miguel Rodriguez - Guitar
Aida Foreman - Vocal Arrangement